Near Funtington, West Sussex
Racton Monument lies close
to the village of Funtington in West Sussex, on the Stansted
Estate. It has on occasion been known as Stansted Castle or
Racton Tower, and is thought to have been completed in 1772.
Its original purpose is uncertain, but it might have been
intended as a summerhouse to complement the main Stansted House,
nearby. If so it qualifies today more as a curiosity than a
The structure consists of a circular and slightly tapered tower
around 80 feet high, sitting on top of a broader, three-sided
building with smaller towers at the corners.
A bridle path runs alongside the Monument from the B2147